Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Saving a Configuration as a new file

G

gmagnicher

Does anyone know of an easy way to take a single configuration that is in a parts model and save it as a new file. I have a drawing with 20 different configurations, but I just want to save one of these configurations and create a totally different parts model with it.

Thanks in advance for your help,

gmagnicher

Saving a single configuration

I have had the same problem a few times too. I just "save as" then rename the file. Afterwards I open the file and just delete everything I don't want.

There may be a better way to do this but I have not heard of it yet.

I just save as>copy of the model, open the copy and delete all configurations I don't want.
If you do this using SolidWorks Explorer, there's a checkbox at the top to save drawing too.
Just click the "save as" name cells and rename.

I just do a file/saveas/copy and rename. Then open the new file and strip the configs that you don't need.

Hi gmagnicher,

The easist way I know of is to save the entire file, with all it's configurations, as another part number. Go to the new file and click on the configuration manager. Highlight all the configurations you don't want and right click. Choose delete and there you go. The only configuration left will be the one you don't delete.

Good Luck
Myladin

save asb

you can either just select the configuration then chose file save as part. this should just save that configuration. or you can open a part, click file insert, and chose part. you can then insert a part into a part!
right clicking the part in the tree and select external refs allows you to pick the configuration you want

Solidworks Contractor

you can either just select the configuration then chose file save as part. this should just save that configuration. or you can open a part, click file insert, and chose part. you can then insert a part into a part!
right clicking the part in the tree and select external refs allows you to pick the configuration you want

Solidworks Contractor

Good answer to the question!

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back