Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Snap Mode

Benson7725

I have a hi-res STL imported in to max and I have it frozen so I can remodel the geometry myself. Is there a snap feature or mode that will keep the vertices of my geometry stuck to the surface of the frozen STL as I'm modeing? I basically want my vertices to slide along the surface of the STL as I move them around when I'm modeling, for accuracy.

Your STL probably has enough points to really slow down a already challenged snapping engine, so you may want to rethink your approach. I have for example cleaned up STL files and produced some very nice renderings once a few smoothing issues were addressed. Another idea is to slice up the STL to establish edge loops shapes and sub sets of the model that are more managable. Just some thoughts.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back