Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Weights and Center of Gravity

Guillaume607

Hello!
I need to calculate the weight and gravity center of a complex assembly. If I ask catia to do it directly, the result is obviously wrong. So, I started to list all the parts with their weights and gravity centers in an excel file and then I calculate the global weight and center of gravity.
It works but it´s too long to do it by hand!
Do you know why catia can´t give it directly?
Is there a way to automate the process? Perhaps a link between catia and excel?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Guillaume

I just tried it with a small assembly I'm currently working with, and used the default density (didn't specify material): the results looked OK to me.

I think I found why it didn't work for my big assembly. There are parts which were only used for the catia design (boolean operation for example) and I don´t have to weigh them. Is there a way to choose the parts I want to weigh in an assembly?
Does someone already had to deal with the weight of an assembly with more than 100 parts? I'm looking for a good and easy way to do it!

You can Deactivate the instances to be ignored, and then measure the assembly.

If you only want to measure a very small number of parts out of the overall assembly, I'd copy those parts into a new temporary assembly and measure that.

Thanks, it works properly!
Now, is there a way to automatise the process? To not weigh everything again if a part is modified. Perhaps a link with excel?

That's a good question, Guillaume.

I know you can save the Measure in a CATPart, and link the Measure to a Parameter to link it to a Design Table/Excel spreadsheet.

I guess you can do the same thing with a CATProduct.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back