Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Working with Parameters in BOM

D

dias_ryan

Hey guys. I am having a TONNE of trouble trying to create an assembly drawing that updates its own Cost field in the BOM.

So. I have right now:
Ibeam.ipt - parameter Length - 15 in ** model variable
- parameter UnitCost - 4.0 ul
- parameter ValueEa - (Length * UnitCost) 60.0

I move to the assembly drawing and want to create a Total Cost parameter

Assembly.iam
- parameter ValueEa - 60.0 **stolen from the ipt
- parameter QTY - 3 ** 3 pieces in the assembly
- parameter Total_Value - QTY * ValueEa

This final parameter is giving me grief! ValueEa will not translate into the assembly file. Is there a linking procedure i have to do? I clicked Export in the Parameter window. The QTY parameter is not working for me either. Am i not allowed to us it in a calculation?

Reply from Autodesk...

Located this reply from kgrunawalt at Autodesk development.
Good Luck!
3DCADTips Help Desk :cool:

Reply From: kgrunawalt
Date: Jun/06/06 - 09:58 (CDT) NEW!

Re: BOM Parameters
I'll speak to the QTY as seen in the BOM. This is not a parameter. It is a total calculated per row in the bom view. A BOM with 5 different parts will have 5 different QTY values.

I think you want an excel like equation that references values relative to a row. Then you could do ITEM QTY * cost and ITEM QTY would have a row context. This is not supported in the current BOM or parts list. You are not the first to request the ability to calculate total costs. I will make sure this need is logged.

Katrin Grunawalt (Autodesk Dev.)

stolen from the ipt

Hey dias_ryan,
please let me know to export parameter from ipt to iam so it can be shown on the BOM on the dwg.

Thanks!

Hey guys. I am having a TONNE of trouble trying to create an assembly drawing that updates its own Cost field in the BOM.

So. I have right now:
Ibeam.ipt - parameter Length - 15 in ** model variable
- parameter UnitCost - 4.0 ul
- parameter ValueEa - (Length * UnitCost) 60.0

I move to the assembly drawing and want to create a Total Cost parameter

Assembly.iam
- parameter ValueEa - 60.0 **stolen from the ipt

- parameter QTY - 3 ** 3 pieces in the assembly
- parameter Total_Value - QTY * ValueEa

This final parameter is giving me grief! ValueEa will not translate into the assembly file. Is there a linking procedure i have to do? I clicked Export in the Parameter window. The QTY parameter is not working for me either. Am i not allowed to us it in a calculation?

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back