Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

3d Monogram generator for 3D Printing using macros (Solidworks)

SolidMaster

Hey guys,
I've made a few 3D text monograms
like these: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/86975836527591773/
in Solidworks 2014, but I found the process very tedious when it came to more than just a few characters. I was wondering how difficult it would be to create a macro for solidworks to generate a 3D text monogram for use in 3D FDM Printing.

• I expect it'll need the user to input the desired text in at least 2 dimensions, extrude it and select the desired contact plane (plane the model is printed on)
  • From there it would merge all bodies
  • analyze which bodies are touching the contact plane and delete the ones that aren't contacting the plane.
  • Determine if any of the readable text is missing due to deleted bodies
  • While this macro could be expanded to do a great deal more, I think this would be a good start.

I'm wondering how much work this would be to generate the code for. I don't have that much programming experience and i've never created or used a macro before.

Kind regards

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back