Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

STUCK : How to model this stent?

CatiaMod

I was modeling a Stent and was successful in completing the first part of the design. A stent is a cylindrical structure and right now I have a rectangular structure/area. I wanted to know if it was possible to convert it into a cylinder. (something like the toroidal bend in solidworks) Is it possible to do that in Catia?

This is the point till which I have completed :

stent1.jpg

This is what the final model should look like :

stent2.jpg

PLEASE DO HELP! IT IS A PART OF MY PROJECT!
ANY SORT OF HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!
:D

Looking at the final model, we can define a strategy for modeling this. Working backwards:

1. I see 10 sections. You can model one of the sections, and then use a pattern to get the others.

2. Within a section, I think there are 20 repeated "S" shapes. Again, you can model one of the shapes, and then use a circular pattern to get the others.

Is that enough help, or do you need more help with the the "S" shape?

Thank you for the help MrCATIA,
I am done with the planar structure, that is, I have completed the S shapes and it is planar now. I wanted help in rolling/bending the part so that it gets converted to a cylindrical structure as shown in the second image.

My doubt is how to convert the planar part model into a cylindrical model.

.... right now I have a rectangular structure/area. I wanted to know if it was possible to convert it into a cylinder?

I don't know anyway in CATIA V5 to convert the planar part into a cylindrical shape. Maybe someone else does? If I was modeling the stent, I would model the cylindrical shape directly.

Using the strategy I mentioned earlier, I would make a flat sketch of a single "S" shape, project it onto the curved cylinder, and make a solid from that.

Other methods you could try:

If you have the Developed Shape license, you could Fold (or "wrap") the flat profile onto the cylinder. Trim the surface and make a ThickSurface.

You might be able to use the Sheetmetal workbench also.

Last edited:
Thank You again MrCATIA.

I tried using the wrap feature, but was unsuccessful and got an error.
It would be of great help if you could guide me through the entire procedure step by step.

I have a plane surface of the stent S shape as shown in the image below.
What do I do next? Please do help. It is a part of my project and I had to self tutor me through Catia as there is a limited time constraint.
Thank you in Advance! :)

This is the Point where i am at:

Untitled.jpg

Sorry, but I'm not aware of a Wrap feature. Which command and which workbench? What was the error message when you tried it?

After researching more on this, I realized wrap cannot be used for stent modeling.
Can you guide me on how to model the stent in the method which you had mentioned before?

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back