Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

V5/V6 Real Time Harness/Hose Updating?

Bmagalhaes

Hey guys, I do a lot of kinematic layouts involving moving parts in aircraft assemblies. Many of those layouts consist of harness and hoses (flexible components) that undergo deformation and motion throughout their defined movement.

Currently, if I want to see what a harness looks like after it has been coiled, or what a hose looks like after it has been twisted, I have to exit my kinematic in nominal mode, and update. This is very time consuming for me. It would also be useful if I could see real time updates of the flexible components via robot (compass) manipulation.

Look at the ~55 second mark in this youtube explanation video where the user is able to manually drag his flat cable harness from side to side, and the harness updates in real time (or close to it). How does he do this, are there simply some settings I am missing? I've tried to recreate his scenario but with no luck.

I do my design in V6 but I know a lot of elements between V5 and V6 are similar.

Any ideas? Thanks!

If the centerline of the hose has been defined with constraints that link it to other geometry, then you can get the hose to twist/coil "automatically." You also want to turn on the Auto Update.

(however, this will not represent the true length of the hose)

Typically I will route hoses and harnesses via their respective workbenches, which means I am typically routing through clamps/supports with published elements. In those cases the centerline is usually defined by the slack/length that I impose on it and the support to support distance.

Could you give me an example where you would manually link hose geometry while routing? Is this applicable to harnesses as well?

And where can I find the Auto Update option?

Thanks for the quick reply.

When you said Kinematics, I assumed you were using the Part Design workbench to model the hoses and harnesses as solids, based on a centerline curve. If you are using published elements for the routings, then you are linking the hose/harness to the other parts that are being moved.

The Auto Update is found in Tools + Options + Infrastructure + Part Infrastructure. Another way is to click the Auto Update icon (Update swirl with the hand); orange is auto mode, not-orange is manual update mode.

Last edited:
Typically I am working within the assembly workbench. A typical kinematic scenario for me would be that I have a rotating shaft/platform and a harness/hose within a product and I am in the assembly workbench so that I may manipulate the kinematic model. The harness/hose is routed between two published elements (p-clamps). One of the p-clamps will be fixed and never move. The other p-clamp is attached rigidly to the rotating shaft/platform.

I will build in slack to the harness/hose to allow it to move accordingly, but the harness never updates in real time. I must rotate my kinematic say 90 degrees, exit the mechanism player to lock in the new p-clamp position, and then update manually to see the new harness/hose by clicking the update swirly. I don't know if this is much different from V5 (I'm using V6). In the video I posted in the original post, the user is able to get instantaneous harness updates just by manipulating one of his published clamps. Even though that isn't a true kinematic model, that would still be useful to me.

I already had on the settings that you mentioned but they don't seem to alter anything that I already had. Sorry for any confusion, but I do appreciate the help.

Let's try the Auto Update in Assembly Design: Tools + Options + Mechanical Design + Assembly Design

Yes I have done that also. No dice. I've explored most of the options tree settings but could not find anything else relevant.

I'm hoping it wasn't a feature that wasn't removed at some point in some version, or perhaps never implemented.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back