Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Plastics parts in surface (GSD) or in part design ?

wowpilot

I have started to work in a factory which produces plastics parts which are in different size and shape. We are using plastic injection to produce them. But we are not designing the parts , we just manufacture them from raw plastics such as PP, PA, PU, Nylon 6 and dozens of others. My question is that do they use catia Surface design (GSD) or part design to design them. Because as far as I know plastics parts oftenly are designed by using surface design. However there is no thickness in surface design as plastics parts have thickness in different dimensions. I am a little bit confused. Is there anyone who can elaborate this things .
Thank you.

They probably use both workbenches and both types of geometry. Part Design (solids) for the majority of design features (ribs, bosses, etc) and the final design. GSD (surfaces) are used for complex, sculptured shapes (outside ergonomic surfaces). The surface geometry is then "converted" into solids (with tools like CloseSurface and ThickSurface). One of the unique benefits of CATIA is it's ability to use both types of geometry together, when it's needed.

Last edited:

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back