Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Advice on projecting and realising a working custom designed axial fan for pc cooling

Franz Garden

Dear 3dCadders,

this is my very first post, and I actually signed up for this

I wasn't sure which kind of discussion forum was the most appropriate: whether a cad forum, an engineering forum or a 3d enthusiast board. In the end I have chosen this one, my first concern being not the printing process of the object, as much as the need for a proper and flawless design.

I would like to build a custom pc case, with a custom designed fan.

The fan would be in plain view, placed on top of the case, so it needs to be nice-looking and, most important, dead silent.

I have no trouble realizing how easy it can be for good designers as you certainly are projecting an effective fan or turbine or whatever and how easy 3d-printing can eventually be: there's a lot of examples on the internet in that regard.

The point is: how can we combine effective design (i.e: the fan actually produces a good amount of air) with excellent noise? How many designers actually do have this kind of expertise?

[Let alone the print process: 3d printed object may actually work, but they seem to have all that grainy finish (regardless of the subtlety of the material) and that toyish look .. if you know what I mean.

But on the other hand I can't order a "standard" plastic production for one single piece I guess ..]

So.. these are my questions and my concerns. I hope you can give me the right guidance to help me understand better and make a wise choice. Or simply give me the tools for some effective and focused self study :)

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back