Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

perfect speaker grill without incomplete circle?

Win Ace

can anyone show me a tutorial on designing a round speaker grill which only consist of complete circular holes? what is the trick of using pattern for this or there is additional step instead of just pattern?

In CATIA V5, there are 3 types of Patterns that can be used when a part has the same sized hole, like your speaker grill. A Rectangular Pattern can be used when the holes are equally spaced in one or two directions. A Circular Pattern can be used when an equal number of holes rotate about the center at an equal angle. Since neither of these match the example, a User Pattern is the only option.

A User Pattern is based on a Sketch defining all the center points of the holes. Since each "ring" has a different number of holes, the Sketch can quickly be built by using Equidistant Points to space the number of points on a bolt circle for each ring.

If you have to make many grills with different hole patterns, a PowerCopy or a Macro can be used to automate the process.

Last edited:
i see... i;ll try User defined pattern and PowerCopy first.... i;m new in catia but i used creo before and i remember in creo, we can directly define pattern in more way and even just add a math formula to it.

I just verified the above method:
GRILL.JPG

Don't worry about PowerCopy or Macros or even parametrics now - those are something for advanced CATIA users.

Last edited:

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back