Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

V5 "Desk" Problem (2 Questions)

Green Hornet

Q1: Each time I enter a particular drawing, I get the error message below:

This drive and part no longer exist, and there is no error (nothing highlighted in red or black) showing in the Desk function. I also cannot find anywhere that this part is in links. I'm assuming it's a leftover problem from an older iteration of this drawing.

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to how I might go about clearing out this error?

Q2: When I enter the Desk function, is there any way to "spread out" the tree? It seems very bunched together.

Thank you in advance!

Q2: When I enter the Desk function, is there any way to "spread out" the tree? It seems very bunched together.

Answer 2: You can pan and zoom the Desk window just like you do the drawing

Q1: Each time I enter a particular drawing, I get the error message below:
This drive and part no longer exist, and there is no error (nothing highlighted in red or black) showing in the Desk function. I also cannot find anywhere that this part is in links.

Answer 1: I've heard this problem described as a "ghost link." From the Desk window; right-click on the drawing and select the CATDUAV5 utility and click the CLEAN and RUN buttons. This will usually clean up those "ghost links." Make sure you save the drawing after running this utility.

Last edited:
Also...FYI...I have already run a CATDUA function as well.

CATDUAV5 usually works, but not always.

The only other suggestion I have (other than redrawing the entire drawing), is to make a new drawing, and copy the views, one-by-one, from the old drawing to the new one. After each view is copied, save and re-open the drawing to see if the error appears. If not, continue copying the next view. If it does appear, erase that view and re-create it. If you suspect some views where that PowerCopy was used, copy those views first.

Last edited:
Thanks...I will try this during some downtime. As far as panning and zooming the tree within desk...I was referring to spreading the tree out so that the "branches" are not so bunched together (i.e. spreading apart the tree itself as opposed to moving and zooming around it).

I'm unaware how to spread out the branches in the Desk window or any similar windows. I don't think it can be done.

I just did a Google search for "CATIA ghost links". Lots of hits, but no silver bullets after a quick review. You might want to check there yourself.

Yeah I usually try to do some digging before I post, but I figured that this was a more obscure problem. I think your suggestion of copying elements to a new drawing one at a time is the best approach.

I'm just really surprised that Dassault would make a function (tree graphic in Desk) in CATIA that you can't alter in any way. And then again, maybe not so surprised. :D

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back