Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

How to enhance server security to protect our CAD designs

wiselewis

Hi guys! I’m working in jewelry manufacturing. I’m looking for methods to enhance server security to protect our product designs. For our daily operation, our designers would update their design files on server every day. But, they can access and modify freely without any tracking. The management now wants to build a systematic policy to keep record and control the use of files on server, especially for those design files.

That means nobody can bring out the design related files from the server without permission as well as a log system to trace the activities.

Does anyone get the ideas on this? Please share and thanks in advance.

Hi Lewis,

You could potentially look at deploying Virtual desktops to overcome your security concerns. Virtualisation technology has moved on leaps and bounds over the past few years and it is now possible to deliver CAD applications over the internet in real time. This means that the data resides in a secure datacentre at all times, not on the user's device (unless permissions state otherwise). This prevents abuse of data, but also gives users the added benefit of working from any device, regardless of local processing power. I have used AutoCAD and Revit on an IPad and a Raspberry Pi, using 4G internet connectivity. This also raises the point of significant cost savings when refreshing workstations - they simply aren't needed using VDI technology.

Let me know if you want any more information.

Many thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your information. It sounds good. But I am worried about the speed, performance, and the cost. Do you have more information?

Cheers
Lewis

I m wondering that some dwg files, saved on a server, can not opend by Autocad.
Does someone has a solution or a cause of it?
Kind regards,

Rob

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back