Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Which way should I go?

Steve-B

I know the title is cryptic (at best), but what I really want to know is, which 3D cad program should I try to learn? I have been using AutoCAD (2D) for over 20 years in civil/structural design drafting and have come to realize that I am behind the times by a long way. I'm thinking I should learn Revit since it is an Autodesk product, but I see many more jobs out there that require different programs. I also don't want to limit myself to civil/structural as I have some experience in other disciplines.
Please keep in mind that I will be doing this on my own time and my own dime, so I need something that won't cost a fortune just to learn, especially if I have to upgrade my computer (or buy a new one).
Thanks!

I see alot of job opportunities requiring AutoCAD & Revit experience.

But if you want to make a career change, Inventor or Solidworks are also popular.

If you just want to try something new, then I'd suggest a free copy of Fusion360 (and maybe drop a few dimes on a 3D Printer)

Another factor is what classes are available where you live?

Last edited:
I'm leaning toward Revit right now because of my background and it's an Autodesk product (hopefully the interface would be similar to AutoCAD). I would most likely make use of online courses because the classroom stuff around here is kind of pricey. Inventor would be my second choice for the same reasons. I can utilize the LT versions of both programs combined with AutoCAD for $304/yr for Revit LT and $380/yr for Inventor LT.

Revit seems to be an architecture program that focuses on designs of buildings. The problem with revit is that it does not seem to favor the free from sketch designs that are needed for more complicated building components like distillation towers, refining towers, nuclear facilities, and fusion superconducting coils. CATIA is a major upgrade (I think) when compared to revit. I have been working with revit for two weeks. I built a quadrupole in SolidWorks (a few months) and have tried to do some designs by hand (my best work). I find that the best designs and most interesting concepts are always sketched with pencil, paper, compass, and ruler. I might be old fashioned, but in the time it takes to learn the software and how to make images, I can just go to my desk and sketch something on graph paper in the same amount of time. Everything depends on your vision and commitment in my experience.

So, after passing all that judgement, can anyone help me find a CATIA class or do you just learn as required on the job. I want to build a new tokamak and have some more controlling field coils. It might be crazy, but I just need to know where to go to learn.

Where do I go to get CATIA classes?

Which way should I go

Anybody have this unit that can see the back to see which one I have it set to? It seems to do quite a volume drop when I switch it but so much less noise but its in a rack where I cant see the back.

Anybody know which way is which on the switch? I cant seem to find any pictures online that you can actually see it.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back