Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Flatten a non-sheet metal part

A

ady_mech

Hi there

I have a very thin hollow part (like paper) that was created by making a cone and then shelling it, then cutting a slit across it. Now I want to see what it looks like when I flatten it. I need this so that I can make a 2D drawinng that can be given to a fabricator so that he can make that out of a flat sheet of metal. I can't seem to do this in Solidworks 2006.

There is a feature to flatten parts but inly if they are made using sheet metal features.

Any ideas how I can do this?

Thanks for your time.

You can do this by adding a sheet metal feature to your existing part. Have a look at the help files for sheet metal, there is an example of flattening a cone or cylinder that should help

Trevor

You can do this by adding a sheet metal feature to your existing part. Have a look at the help files for sheet metal, there is an example of flattening a cone or cylinder that should help

Trevor

Thanks for the reply.
What if the surface I want to flatten is not a planar face? let's say, the surface is a slice of a sphere obtained by slicing a spehere by 2 parallel planes at a distance away from the origin of the sphere? Is it even possible to flatten such a surface?

thanks

Thanks for the reply.
What if the surface I want to flatten is not a planar face? let's say, the surface is a slice of a sphere obtained by slicing a spehere by 2 parallel planes at a distance away from the origin of the sphere? Is it even possible to flatten such a surface?

thanks

I'd actually recommend posting this query over at SolidWorks 3D CAD products Forum - Eng-Tips. There's several regulars on that board that might already know this answer.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back