Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Parametric Assembly

amnon

Hej,

What is the best way to create a parametric assembly. I can create parametric Part but I don't know how to do it with assembly. I heard that I should create a special part "SKELETON" wher I could (paste special/past especial with link) a planes, axis ..... . Tell my the right way to do it.

Regards
Amnon

Amnon,

I've never heard the term "parametric assembly" before, so I'm not sure what it is. But the "skeleton" method you described is used by many companies to control and share common design variables throughout all the parts in the product. I guess "parametric assembly" is a good name for the "sketeton" method.

I hope my previous description of "contextual design" was helpful to you.
http://www.3dcadforums.com/1624-assembly.html

"Skeleton" is a name that another CAD system uses (I think it's Pro-E). As you said, this methodology uses a CATPart file as a "master" file that contains all the parent elements that are published and copied to other CATParts with links back to the "master" file. By making a change to the "master" file, all the child parts are effected when updated. This is very beneficial during the early conceptual phases of a design when lots of changes are being made.

The "master" file can contain almost any type of parent elements: Axis Systems, Planes, Surfaces, Sketches, Points, Lines, Curves, etc. Also, PartBodies. Parameters can also be defined in the "master" file and then used by many parts within the assembly.

What is the Best method? That depends on your company and the unique (and often proprietary) methodologies they have put in place to meet their engineering requirments

I hope this helps you.

MrCATIA,

Yes, Your previous and present descriptions was very hepfull to me.
Thank's a lot.

Amnon

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back