Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Sheetmetal Help

Slvr98svt

Hey guys new to the forums as well as SW. I work for a race car fab shop, and am doing a senior thesis on a pro-modified rear end. However I am having trouble getting one of the parts to line up. Here are some pictures of what it is supposed to look like, what I have done, and then what I cant accomplish.

Put together before welding
100_0605.jpg

So here it is modeled
rearwithcenter.jpg

Everything done but the cones
assembledrear.jpg

Here is the cone
cone.jpg

We had everything drawn in AutoCAD so I just imported them and then 3D'd it. So no measurements changed. However it seems the the cone is not tall enough where it meets the center section, nor does it follow the same angle that the faceplate does that it needs to get welded to.

Can anyone help me out here, maybe send you the two files and mess around with the cones. I have spent the last 2 days trying everthing I know to get them to line up but it just wont work.
Thanks,
-Matt

Sheetmetal Diff Housing issues...

Matt, one thing that you might try would be to-while working in the assemby, insert a new part-then you can convert the edges of both the center section cover and the 4-link mounting plate and do a loft between them, then you can convert to a sheet metal part and add your bend lines where you need them. I too have had issues converting ACAD/Desktop files to Solidworks.
It's just a thought, I didn't try it, but I have done kind of similar stuff in the past.
I've found that sometimes it's easier to just re-model them in Solidworks, in the end it's faster...
You could probably re-model the center section piece too and get rid of the funny looking bends.
Good Luck!
Ed Poole C.S.W.P.
The Cly-Del Mfg. Co.
Waterbury, CT

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back