Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Range of Rhino questions. Sectional perspective, 2d symbols, group editing + more!

smp

Hi

I use Vectorworks at work and also do all the (rather basic!) office 3d work on Rhino. Slowly improving but much to learn, I've been writing down questions/issues I come across so excuse the rather long list, any help on any part much appreciated!

1_Any advice on what would be the best way to create a sectional perspective from a 3d model, say like this example:

Google Image Result for http://www.richardmurphyarchitects.com/projects/images/1155308830.jpg

I could use the trim/split command but then I would need to patch/planar srf etc the cut faces of solid elements. Guessing there's a much better/easier/tidier way of doing this?

2_Is it possible to make plan/top views at differing z plane/elevation heights? So say one at +0 metres, +.5 metres, +1 metres etc? Also possibly related to another question I had to change the standard right/left/back/front views, it would really help me to be able to move these, so say I have a building that has a courtyard and I want to create an elevation drawing of each of the internal courtyard faces/walls, I would want to move the point where the standard views are positioned as with the default views the exterior building walls would obstruct the views of the internal courtyard walls. I was after a parallel view rather a perspective view. I tried viewportproperties then placing the camera location inside the courtyard but it didn't work as I'd hoped.

3_Is there a way of editing components of a group without ungrouping them and having to regroup?

4_Though generally I much prefer Rhino to Vectorworks, is there a plugin or way that one can edit objects (lines, surfaces, etc) numerically, length, angle, height etc? So if a line is say 1100mm long, clicking on it and entering a new length value, 1500mm. I want to use Rhino for 2d documentation rather than switching to Rhino, but above issues makes it a little more cumbersome compared to VW functionality, has anyone come across any helpful tutorials tips on how to work around these issues? I particularly like Vectorworks Object Attributes palette so anything similar would be a big bonus!

5_a VRAY for Rhino question if anyone can help! Rendering a parallel projection view doesn't seem to work, I have to change it to a perspective. Is there a way around this, sometimes I just want a render of a true parallel elevation.

6_Attached an image (rhino question.bmp) relating to a question, if you have a surface/or 2 shape for that matter, is there a way that one can project the corner A to meet the line? I have used extendcrvonsrf but that's all I could find?

7_Attachment rhino question2.bmp, relating to a problem I came across when creating a rough site model. I used an imported .dwg site survey, extruded the contours and then tried to trim the edges to create a rectangular site model. Most of the surfaces trimmed as expected but quite a few didn't. I tried trimming with a line, then a surface (what extended beyond the contour surfaces) and eventually had to turn the end points on and project them back to the trimming surface. Thoughts on this issue?

8_Can anyone recommend Rhino compatible 3d and 2d object libraries, I came across a couple on the McNeel website, wondered if there were other recommended ones?

Thanks

Attachments

• rhino question.bmp
    183.6 KB · Views: 0
  • rhino question2.bmp
    157.9 KB · Views: 0

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back