Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Question about joining different mesh objects

shangshangw

I am creating a stl file for rapid prototyping.
But have problem with creating a watertight polygon mesh objects.

I follow the steps in Rhinoceros:
"Use the Join command, then Weld (angle=180), and UnifyMeshNormals to turn a group of meshes into a single watertight mesh object. "

Then all the previous separated mesh objects merged together becomes one.
But after I export the result as a new stl file and open this new one in Rhinoceros, it becomes many parts again.

anyone know why?

Water tight volume reconstruction

For constructing 3D water tight meshes, I would recommend using MeshLab (free). Rhino can get you pretty close, but it can take a long time, and doesn't always work the first time.

You can use the 'Poisson Reconstruction' filter in Meshlab, which effectively shrink wraps the entire mesh volume (or multiple surfaces) into a new water tight 3D mesh. The advantage of this method, is it eliminates any chance of tiny invisible holes, weird surface patches or other defects that could screw up the 3D print.

Poisson Reconstruction will wash out details and smooth over holes, but it generally gets better results for organic shapes and sculpture from 3D scans.

-Dan
Bluegalaxy Design
Bluegalaxy Design

How exactly did you create a stl file for rapid protyping I am looking into also creating something like this, any advice? Any help would be create. Look forward to getting some help.

Last edited:

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back