Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Intersect surface, match surface problem

rickg

Hello All,
Thought I posted this already but can't see it, please excuse a double post if it happens.
Please excuse me for being all over the place with nomenclature in this post, I am not familiar with Rhino v4 and discribe it as I see it.
I am drawing a bike frame.
On the bike frame are 1" tubes with bend radi at the angle changes. These radi are typically 3" centerline.
I have the tube centerline wireframe created to my liking and I'm trying to "flesh it out" by extruding a circle along the curve, creating a surface that looks like a tube.
I would like to end up with a polysurface and add the fillets or curves to that to create the proper bend radi corners.
I tried using the polyline for the extrude but the plane of the circle doesn't change as it goes around the corner and the tube surface flattens out.
I tried splitting the polyline into individual curves and extruding them one at a time. The tube stays correct because the plane stays the same but now I have a problem trimming or intersecting the 2 surfaces to get a common, correct surface edge. At the minor bends this doesn't seem to be an issue but at the major bends, 60 deg, it gets really confused.
Intersect give me a very weird polyline. I suspect it is trying to join the surface wireframes in the order they were created and they do not match up. I saw no way to pick the points in order to create the proper intersect line.
If I make the surfaces overlap, trim becomes confused and only does a partial trim on the surface.
Match Surface doesn't know what to do with the gap on the outboard side of the bend if I extrude the surface using the proper length centerline curve.
I'm lost, HELP.
Again, please keep in mind, after I trim these 2 surfaces to make a common corner, my intention is to join them into a polysurface and try and put the bend radius back in.
Thank you for your time, Rick.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back