Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

geometry creation

X

xian

Hey All, I am in the process of learning Catia, coming from Proe.
What I am trying to figure out is how to create additional work planes ect.. when creating more complex geometry.
I have done some basic tutorials, however, they tend to create geometry on existing surfaces.
In Proe, I can create a plane, or axis to begin the offset geometry, but I have been unable to find a similar tool in Catia.
I have ordered v5r16 for designers, but its a bit of a wait untill I will receive it and I would like to keep learning the program.
Any help on how to create geomerty, or sketches which arent on the 3 start planes would be much appreciated.

There is a Plane command and also an Axis command that will do what you want. I'm surprised you haven't learned about Plane yet - it is a very common tool to define planes for sketches and other purposes. Offset planes are probably the most common. If you can't find the icon (it's available in the Part Design workbench and also the Wireframe and Shape workbenches), you can always type c:plane down in the lower-right corner (what's called the "Power Input" box) to create a new plane.

IMO, Axis aren't used as much as planes, but they probably are more powerful.

Look in the Online Help files for instructions on both Planes and Axis Systems.

Here's a Tip: always use positioned sketches, instead of the default sliding sketch.

Last edited:
Thanks mate, I found it last night in the wireframe surfacing model, Ill have a look in part design. Im using v5 r16, would it have been moved? I dont seem to have that plane icon in part design.

You probably can't find it in Part Design because, by default, it's not turned on.

What you need to do is switch to the Part Design workbench, and then use View + Toolbars and turn on (check) the REFERENCE ELEMENTS (EXTENDED) toolbar. That will give you the basic wireframe tools (Point/Line/Plane) while you're working with solids.

The toolbar might be hidden - I typically customize my toolbar to have 2 columns of icons in order to have everything I use available!

Deserved recognition for MrCATIA!

Thank you MrCATIA!

We just wanted to let you know that we appreciate all of the support you have provided recently on our 3DCADTips Catia Forum! You have taken time out to help our fellow members and that's what this site is all about!

Thanks again.
3DCADTips Help Desk :cool:

Last edited:
ref planes tool bar

Thanks mate, I found it last night in the wireframe surfacing model, Ill have a look in part design. Im using v5 r16, would it have been moved? I dont seem to have that plane icon in part design.

Hi,

You will have to search for "reference elements" toolbar by right clicking on any of the toolbars.you can alternately type c:plane in the command prompt in the lower right corner of the catia screen.All the Best.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back