Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

STRUGGLING to model vacuum formed plastic, PLEASE HELP!

bograt

Hello All,

I have used rhino now for a few years (though never had any training) and have never really run into a problem like this.
I mainly use the models to create high quality renderings in 3dsmax or cinema 4d using vray, I have really been struggling to create a model of embossed vacuum formed text, (this kind of thing except the form is embossed text: http://upload.ecvv.com/upload/Produ...uum_Forming_Machine_TX_720C20111241348215.jpg)
I felt the best way to do it would be to use either rhino text, or draw out the text from a background bitmap, and the extrude it, this sort of works...
my real problem is creating the filleted/rounded edges to get the vaccum formed effect, when I use the fillet command everything goes mad and the fillets go off the screen. I have tried many ways of tweaking it but this method just does not seem to work,
I have tried drape (surface>drape) this looks ok but creates a bad pixelated effect even at 1000x1000 samples
I have tried heightmap from image, I get the same problem as with drape,
I have also tried to use seperate offset curves of the text and use two rail sweeps to connect the curves but again I run into problems.

Can anyone think of a decent way to do this? normally I would just use a displacement map in vray but the material has to be refractive so the model must be solid and 'airtight'...
I'm am really having trouble with this and I am on a tight deadline, I really don't want to let me client down! any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Jules

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back