Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

I Need Help!

A

alexbales

Hi guys. My name's Alex and I'm 17 years old. I tried to learn Solidworks by myself but I can't, that's why I need your help. I want ot make a football ball 3d model but I don't know.
I impoted a picture by going to: New - Part- OK
Then: Features - Extruded Boss/Base, I selected Right plane and then: Tools - Sketch Tools - Sketch Picture and inserted the picture.
Everything's good till here, but I just don't know how to make the outline of the football to make a 3d model.
If you would like to help me please also leave your email so I can contact you.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!

ALEX LAUR

exit the extrude command, and find the revolve command.

fyi, you can just create a sketch and insert a picture, you don't need to create an extrude. By clicking on the extrude command without a sketch selected, SW automatically created a sketch.

SW comes with some great 45 minute tutorials, click on help, tutorials. They will help you a lot.

What u can o is first select one plane after that slect sketch. First draw a vetical axis trough the origine. Then draw a semi circle with its diagonal laying on axis and origine as mid point u can use relations for this.. and then use revolve command

amitaglawe is correct, just one more thing, make sure your sketch is closed.

closed sketch means that a solid line or arc forms a perimeter around a given area. Dash lines or arc are considered construction entities and will not produce faces when extruded or revolved.

once you get the arc working, then try a partial ellipse, then a spline.

football shape

I guess you imported the football to use as a pattern?

If that is true, then pick the plane that your "football' is on, and open "sketch"

Use a Construction Line to create a centerline from one tip to the other.

Now use what ever type of line necessary to trace the outline of the top half of your football; you only need half of the ball because you will then revolve it into a full 360 degree football shape.

SoildWorks will tell you that your object is "open", just agree with that, and let it build a closed pattern.

Now you will have a basic football shape. You can add surface detail, and colors if you wish to explore more of solidworks.

You might later check on this web site, or SolidWorks' website for a football that has already been made. I know there are golf and baseballs already modeled, and you can study how they were done. The next time you'll be a wiz.

you need to learn the fundamentals

alexbales said:
Hi guys. My name's Alex and I'm 17 years old. I tried to learn Solidworks by myself but I can't, that's why I need your help. I want ot make a football ball 3d model but I don't know.
I impoted a picture by going to: New - Part- OK
Then: Features - Extruded Boss/Base, I selected Right plane and then: Tools - Sketch Tools - Sketch Picture and inserted the picture.
Everything's good till here, but I just don't know how to make the outline of the football to make a 3d model.
If you would like to help me please also leave your email so I can contact you.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!

ALEX LAUR

Alex,
The best advice I can give you is that you need either supervised instruction, or you need to get yourself a book that will cover the basics, that you really need to learn first before you can create 3-d models.
Your football model, for example, is simple enough in itself, but you need to learn a very basic function of Solidworks called "revolve". There are actually several very basic functions and rules that you must learn before you even make an attempt at a model.
I would search for a book on the basics first if I were you. There are also instructional videos that are excellent learning tools. There is one by Dr. James Sinclaire, that you can purchase on Ebay just do a search for Solidworks and a complete page of instructional tools will come up.. There is another called Solidprofessor that is very excellent as well. You would be interested in the first volume, which is called "Core Concepts". This is about as fine an instructional tool as u will find anywhere, I believe. It is comprised of both audio and video, and as close to classroom instruction as possible.
If you want, e-mail me and I will make the football model for you so that you can at least get an idea of what is going on.
Good luck,
gda

[email protected]

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back