Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

How to reduce segments in DXF file

bizzito

Hello! I am extracting points coordinates (X,Y) from DXF file. The problems is that there are tens of thousands of points extracted, but I need up to few hundred points. How can I reduce the number of points and segments. The files are exported from Eagle (PCB design) and it is not too complex. I can't export new files with smaller amount of points and lines, but I can work with the DXF files using AutoCAD. Thanks a lot!

Can you upload a screenshot or maybe the dxf itself? I have a guess - you have a shtload of points because you use non-circular curves to create the PCB layout, those curves generate a high number of vertexes, try converting those irregular shapes to arcs. You need the points to enter them into a CNC machine? I could try simplifying the dxf for you in catia. Some point extractors (image below) have filters for the curve types - the 3D polylines are the worst. An arc only needs 3 points to be defined

Przechwytywanie.jpg

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back