Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Creating convex hexagons and pentagons for a sphere (Football) ?

Mike

I thought I had cracked this one, but alas, not when I come to assemble the parts. I wish to create a convex hexagon and pentagon to assemble a sphere. A true sphere, not a flat sided sphere, of which I find lots of examples.

I created a hollow sphere (that had thickness) and drew a hexagon (of correct size) and extruded cut (getting rid of the sphere leaving just the convex hexagon. pic attached). Same process for the pentagon. All looked good, but when I assemble the parts I find the extrude cut is at 90 degree to the plane, not towards the sphere center, and the hex I drew was relative to a flat plane, not the convex surface of the sphere. So they of cause are not true hexagons and have incorrect edge angles so do not mate up to become a sphere

Any guidance? anyone ? I am at a loss.

Attachments

• convex hex.JPG
    convex hex.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back