Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Do Engineering companies use assembly constraints at ''Assembly Design'' or CATpart?

wowpilot

For Example; You are creating internal combustion engine which has more than 1000 parts by Using catia V5. Is the using assembly design environment for dozens of parts and then making constraints or creating parts part by part in part design then making constraints ? Because NX has ability to convert part design to assembly but Catia does not. What kind of way are OEMS follow by creating engine or whole car?

What kind of way are OEMS follow by creating engine or whole car?

I don't know for sure, but I imagine most companies that use CATIA are using the Assemblies and various levels of sub-assemblies to define the part relationships, and take advantage of all the downstream tools; such as Kinematics, FEA of Assemblies, Assembly drawings, etc.

Do you agree?

I agree with you in this manner. But what I am asking is that do they use assembly constraints in Assembly Design Or do they use adjacent part to take reference to position the part. (for eaxmples in NX you can create part by taking reference other part position in space to create the new part )wdw.JPG

My guess is most companies are using Assembly Constraints to position and orient parts relative to each other. Most of the time, the constraints keep everything positioned as the parts are revised and modified.

(I've been told some companies do not use Assembly Constraints; instead they use Snap to move the part and then Fix it in place. I do not recommend this method)

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back