Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Boolean "remove" operation but adding tolerance

Roundhouse

Hello there!

I am an absolute begginer in CATIA. However, I'm doing a little personal project and I need to know if this can be done:

I need to poke a hole in the orange part (I'll call it plunger) by substracting the grey axis through it. The problem is that I need the orange part to be 3D printed and to actually go through the axis in real life (it is a DC motor), so if the size of the hole is exactly the same as the size of the axis, the orange thing will not go through, as it needs a little bit of tolerance.

plunger screenshot.jpg

My question: can this be done in CATIA? Can I use the "remove" boolean tool and at the same time add, say, 0'1mm of tolerance to make sure it will go through, or should I look at the problem from a whole different angle?

Thanks a lot in advance!

EDIT: The axis is not perfectly cylindrical as it as a small pin to keep the rotation of the plunger solidary to the rotation of the axis. Otherwise I would just poke a slightly bigger hole in the plunger :)

Last edited:
There are many ways in CATIA to achieve what you want, including the boolean process you described.

Without seeing what kind of geometry you have; here are the basic steps using a boolean for a quick&dirty result for printing:

1. copy the motor shaft as a body into the plunger part
2. do the boolean Remove to create the hole
3. use the Thickness command to add the clearance (-0.1mm will make the hole larger)

Last edited:

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back