Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

CAD software affordability

Richard Fryer

Evening All,

I'm new to this site. My Name is Richard, i am a self employed engineer doing contract work for a variety of companies, mostly in heavy engineering and lifting industries.

I have been using Inventor for several years, benefiting from a licence given to me by a regular client.

However, i recently was asked if i could get Solidworks. I enquired and found it to be very expensive. I was hoping that i might be able to rent it on a weekly or even daily basis, but no, the minimum period is 3 months.

I don't do CAD work every day, and being a contractor i need to cover several different softwares to cater to the needs of different clients.

The other problem is the constant need to stay up to date. Some companies don't stay up to date while others do. I was offered to buy the software outright, and while that was expensive it would solve the problem until a new version came out.

Is anyone else having this problem? I thought maybe if i could demonstrate that there is a market out there for people looking to rent the software weekly or daily the suppliers might offer it.

Thanks in advance, Richard

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back