Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Blend deformation issue

Rcer

Hi everyone!, I am currently modelling a winglet section on CATIA V5 as part of a project, however, when I pick the Blend operation option to round the tip, I get some estrange deformation on the leading edge surface, like lumps. I was wondering how I could solve this problem to achieve an smooth surface please. I attach images showing this issue.

Cheers!

Attachments

• winglet.jpg
    winglet.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 6
  • winglet side view.jpg
    winglet side view.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Winglet 3-4 view.jpg
    Winglet 3-4 view.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Blend error.jpg
    Blend error.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Blend error 2.jpg
    Blend error 2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Which Blend options did you use?

Verify curves are same direction. Try different types of continuity to see which one gives best results. Try different Tension values.

You may have to use another tool if Blend doesn't give you a nice, smooth surface. Multi-Section, Sweep, or Fill (maybe) might work better. Keep trying - surface modeling usually takes a lot of effort.

Where is the blend surface in the attached pictures? Maybe change the color distinguish that surface from the others.

Hi, thank you very much for your reply, I have verified the curves and they are at the same direction, I tried different tension values but they made the blend surface not tangent with the rest of the winglet. I attach the blend surface with a different color as requested. I suspect that the problem might reside on the geometry itself so I attach pictures showing the drawings I have done to model this section using Multi-section. Guide curve 1 is a 3D spline and guide curve 2 is made on a plane using lines and 3 point arcs, both highlighted in orange.

Attachments

• Blend error colored.jpg
    Blend error colored.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 2
  • guide curves.jpg
    guide curves.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 3
  • guide curves 2.jpg
    guide curves 2.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 2
  • guide curves frontal view.jpg
    guide curves frontal view.jpg