Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Displacements Due to Shear

ddfriel101

Hi,

I am:

(a) Analyzing shafts and beams for displacements,
(b) Aware when the beam/shaft is short and stubby (low slenderness ratio) the displacements due to shear is non-negligible.
(c) Using beam elements, because it is easier to replicate 1D beam theory conditions.

(d) Wondering is it possible to run an analysis which considers the displacements due to shear (and bending, although not necessary!)

I've came across these parameters related to '1D property section types' (i.e beam elements):
I feel these are somewhere where I should be looking, and perhaps a better worded question would be:

Can someone explain how I calculate the shear areas (and other parameters if required) for solid section shafts?

Shear center (Y) is the y-coordinate of the shear center in the section axis, centered at the center of gravity of the section.

Shear center (Z) is the z-coordinate of the shear center in the section axis, centered at the center of gravity of the section.

Shear Factor (XY) is the ratio between the cross-sectional area (A) and the shear area (Ay), area section which works in shearing in the XY-plane (case of a short beam).

Shear Factor (XY) = A / Ay
This ratio should be greater than one.

Shear Factor (XZ): is the ratio between the cross-sectional area (A) and the shear area (Az), area section which works in shearing in the XZ-plane (case of a short beam).

Shear Factor (XZ) = A / Az
This ratio should be greater than one.

Thanks in advance!

D

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back