Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

CatProduct to CatPart with link?

Dear all,

I have a project that is built bottom up. In other words, I have the components with detail, but need to size a frame that holds these components. What I am trying to find out is a way to use already assembled components (so already CatProducts) in order to size my final part, the frame.

I have no idea how to do this best, but after plundering through the internet, I thought what could work is to make a CatPart_fromProduct of the CatProduct that I then can copy into my new CatPart(the frame). However I do not manage to setup an active link between the CatPart_fromProduct and the CatProduct. Additionally, the parts in the CatPart_fromProduct do not seem to be constrained! Like when I use the compass, I can still change the individual parts from their position!

Anyhow, any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. There must be a straightforward way to do such a basic task. Thanks!

Hello all,

I am trying to do the following: I have a few components that I have exact dimensions of, and I need to assemble them to a frame (so a bottom up approach). The frame needs to be sized so that it can hold all of these components correctly. I am not sure how to do this the smart way.

So far I have prepared my components and already assembled them to subproducts. I would now like to take this subproduct and use it to size my new part.

An idea I had was to convert the subproduct to a part (CatProduct -> CatPart), which I can then copy into my new part and use it to size my new component. However I do not find a way to keep an active link between these files, which sucks.

So yeah, there must be a smart way of doing this... Kinda like in real life, where I can take the component, and with a pen draw onto a board to design the frame.

Looking forward to your suggestions!

I would not convert the assembly into a part.

Instead, I would insert a new part into the assembly. This new part would be the frame. Then with the assembly open and displayed, I would make the Frame part the work object, and model it so it fits around all the other parts. (this is called "contextual design")

Oh! This is great! I had seen this before, but not in this context, and thought it was bad practice to create a part within an assembly. (First create the part, then make product.)

For those that will arrive to the same problem as I did, here a nice video that helped me understand: https://youtu.be/up-tXksJTS8

Thanks for sharing the video - it does a much better job showing how to design new parts based within the context of the current assembly of parts

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back