Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

How to use catia to create a surface with random positioned diamonds

sc10009037

diamond.JPG

Hello all,
I want to create a very complex surface with random angled small surfaces on a defined large base surface, so when look the surface under the sun , in very angle, there will be some small surfaces shining, is it possible to create it in CATIA?

I'm sure it could be done in CATIA, although it will be more "geometric" than "random." And it will not be an easy task. It looks like each quadrant is similar, so I would try to simplify the task by only modeling 1/4 (or 1/8?) and then use mirror to duplicate the remaining facets.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like each facet is a different height as well as angle???? Is that a single stone, or many smaller stones that are mounted next to each other?

Yes, it can be done with CATIA. But there is probably a CAD system specific for Jewelry that can do it better.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, actually I just take diamond as an example, what I really want to try is the rear lamp of Benz S class,Benz_S_class.jpg, when the surface is illuminated, no matter view from what angle, there will be some "random small surfaces" shining, I carefully watched the detail of the surface, It seems no mirror or duplicate was used to create the surface, The Benz calls the concept as star dust, I have not got a good idea to generate such a surface.

-> the height of each facet seems similar, and most facets are hexagon.
-> looks like many smaller stones that are mounted next to each other.
StarDust.JPG

I was wondering, is it possible to create one small stone positioned on a axis with specified direction, --> create lots of points on a base surface, --> give each point a random direction axis, -->translate the smaller stone from axis to axis to generate the complete surface,

Maybe this is just a stupid idea, as I am not very experienced about CATIA, I am not sure whether there're better ideas.:confused:

Last edited:
Wow - I've never seen a lenses like that before. I have no idea how they did that.

Your idea would work. After you get all the points and directions set up as you suggested, you could use a PowerCopy to duplicate the star (facet plus faces around the sides). Then have a second Powercopy to fill in the gaps.

My guess is someone has written a little CATIA program (macro) to generate all of this. It's too much work to do it manually!

I just took a second look at the pictures. Is that Chinese captions on the pictures? I also see diagonal rows and columns going across the lenses (almost like a pineapple) and maybe a repeated pattern here and there.

Last edited:
Thank you very much !
For me the most challenge part is how to create random direction axis, I have not got a good idea.
For the macro, might be not very difficult, some programming can avoid the repeating work,

Yes, it's Chinese, and as you said, it seems the pattern is similar as diagonal rows and columns, maybe I can create the points with this pattern firstly.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back