Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Rhino/Grasshopper script: curve pattern for form-finding anti-funicular forms?

zazanza

Hi!

I’m trying to make several different anti-funicular forms in Rhino using Grasshopper. I’ve got a script that I’m fairly happy with, with one exception. To start the script, I have to input a number of curves to form the mesh needed. However, if the curves are not arranged in the right pattern, then the force applied on the structure is not equally distributed, as I want. They also take quite a bit of time to set-up.

To illustrate, here is a pattern I’ve used for one of the forms:

20d993da71ea6799dd11df0993feb1681ce5699a.jpg

Note that all the nodes have the same number of curves attached to them.

The scrip makes a finer, triangulate mesh:

5c16ff1ff77f399dff0433a1454cbca359bf7c6c.jpg

This mesh is then used to form-find my anti-funicular form. The result, in this case, looks like this:

7a461532a170728a45f76f774834824840e10531.jpg

I can confirm that the load is relatively evenly distributed by checking the weak dual of the mesh. As long as the hexagons are of relatively equal size, the load should be about equally distributed.

9801de3ace9608f51ba54e5b59481906a027b99d.jpg

The problem is the initial set-up. Since I hope to try and make many of these forms, I was hoping to make a script that can speed up the relatively time-costly process of setting up the curves for each model. Does anyone have any advice in how to go about this? I was thinking of the following steps:

1: Manually draw a few curves to serve as a baseline for the mesh construction

2: Place a pattern of points on the curves and inside the space contained by them

3: Connect points by curves/lines

4: Make sure that each (at least internal) point/node are connected to the same number of curves/lines

5: Confirm that the load on each point/node is roughly the same (at least outside of the edge points/nodes). If not, optimize.

6: Mesh

Ideally, all the steps, besides step 1, would be handles by the script. My present script looks like this:

730855a6efd0b26adc7421a54f491a4a1cc9c1bb.jpg

Unfortunately, I am not a Grasshopper wiz and not sure how to go about this. How should I start the script for a process like this? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back