Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Adding a new section in existing shape sections of structure design environment

Hello Everybody
Actually I have to design a machine and I need to have the section of rectangular tube in dimensions of 80×40×2.9 (According to Eshtal table). unfortunately I couldn't find any exact section according to the dimensions of above in existing shape part of the toolbar "Physical plates and shapes" in the structure design environment.
First question: Is there such a section of rectangular tube in dimensions of 80×40×2.9 in CATIA?
Second question:Why the existing rectangular tubes dimensions don't match their dimension names?
Third question: Is there any easy way to create my own sections quickly?

Thanks in advance dear all

Last edited:
Dear all,
Just now I found the solution and I just want to share it with you:)

We draw our new section in CATIA part design environment and then save it to the directory below:

Program files/Dassault Systemes/B25/intel_a/startup/EquipmentAndSystems/Structure/StructuralCatalogs/
AISC/ModelsResolved

Then we go to the directory below:
Systemes/B25/intel_a/startup/EquipmentAndSystems/Structure/StructuralCatalogs/
Materials

Then double click on StructureMaterialSpecifications.
Then in the design tree on the left pane, open Specification, then AISC, then Steel, then A42 and finally double click on profile.
Then on the top of the page in the menu bar, click on Insert and then click on “Add component”. The window “Description Definition” pops up. Click on “Select document”. Here we choose our newly pasted drawn section. Then in Description Definition window click on Keyword values and then click on “name”.
Here we set a name for our new section so that it will be displayed by this name. Then we Save this work in a new directory because CATIA doesn’t allow us to save it directly in the default path. And finally, we over write the saved copy in the main directory as below:
Systemes/B25/intel_a/startup/EquipmentAndSystems/Structure/StructuralCatalogs/
Materials

Congratulations! The new SECTION now added. Enjoy :)

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back