Thread: Split Patter

Default Split Patter

Hello everyone,

I want to cut a spline by several defined planes/ points while keeping both sides. Whenever I choose more than one point / plane , it would not let me keep both sides.

Can you please help me ?
    Attached are the photos of the spline i want to cut and the problem it gives when choosing several cutting elements

•   AltAdvertisment

I'm assuming you made the spline outside of a sketch, and I'm also assuming you are not using Hybrid Design mode.

To split the Spline (or any curve) and keep both sides requires that you duplicate the Spline first. The best way to do this is (selecting from the tree) COPY the Spline, and right-click on the Geometric Set and choose the PASTE SPECIAL option and then choose the PASTE RESULT WITH LINK option. (PASTE RESULT WITH LINK will make a copy that will change when the original spline is modified)

Now that you have 2 splines; trim one curve to one side, and trim the other curve to the other side.

Thank you MrCatia,

The thing is that I have to cut the spline by 800 planes, and was wondering if there is a massive way to do so while keeping both sides.

( I am using Hybrid Design mode)

•   AltAdvertisment

What are you making? Can you attach a picture?

Instead of cutting the spline, it might be easier to cut the solid or just build the solid between two planes. Power Copy might make it easier.

•   AltAdvertisment

spli.JPG

Cut a spline by these planes and/or points, i have to make around 800 cuts, but it has to be 2D.

spli.JPG

I am trying to cut this spline by the following planes and/or points. It is a 2D problem with no parts of the curve removed, just split the spline by equidistant points/ plane

BUNCH OF SPLINES.JPG

What will you do with all these little splines? What is the end result?

I have to import the geometry to Ansys and assign different pressure to each part.

I'm not an FEA analyst, but can you just pass the points to Ansys and convert them into nodes? Or maybe pass the unbroken spline curve and let the mesher subdivide it up into 800 elements?

Yes, but you can't assign different properties to each part/section since they are considered as a whole.