Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Merge ribs' end issue

Rcer

Hi everyone! I'm currently modelating a custom nut with a section that has an outward thread on CATIA V5, however, while trying to create this thread using the command "Rib" I'm getting the following error when I select the option "Merge ribs' end ":

"Topological Operators: impossible relimitiation on the main part. - Change the specifications"

This error is only appearing when I am working with outward threads of any size, while with inward threads I am having no issue at all. I was wondering what could be causing this problem or another method I could use to create a thread with merged ends please.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Error.jpg
    Error.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 6
Hi Bouta! Thank you for your reply. What I'm trying to achieve with the option "Merge Rib Ends" its to create a pointed shape for the nut outward thread's leading edge (which I will then finish by applying an Edge Fillet Definition). On the screenshot you can see the inward thread I have created using this option showing the result I want to achieve for the outward thread:

Inward thread:

Inward thread leading edge.jpg

Outward thread:

Outward thread leading edge.jpg

Ok, so it's easy, imagine that you cut the guide in your inward thread - merge rib ends extrapolates that guide by tangence - so it just adds a straight line which goes into the solid - that's why it closes. Meanwhile an extrapolated helix guide in an outward thread will just shoot into space - so it has no chance of "sinking" into the body. You need to either bend the curve downwards at the end or create that profile with a sweep and close it with "Close Surface". Merge Rib Ends definitely won't work here.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back