Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Render with alpha

rolitheone

Hey guys,
I am using 3d experience catia assebmly design in engineering mode and we use the rendering tools in this to get renders of machine parts.
Is there any way to save with transparent background (alpha channel)?
Currently I render with a white background and then do the photoshop thing but it doesn't work too great, leaves white fringes etc.
Please note that we DO NOT have access to other modules like "raytrace with materials" or whatever they are called, sadly.
Thanks!

Hey guys,
can't find a way to render images with transparent background / alpha channel

3d Experience R2019x Hot Fix4

Catia Assembly Design, engineering

Using the "Rendering Tools" menu for the renders.
Render with materials or raytracing option not unlocked for us so we have to use this one.
Any solutions?
Workoarounds with color background edited out in photoshop leave horrible fringing

Edit: sorry for weird double post

Last edited:
Hi rolitheone,

I've been looking at it, but this option is not possible in "Render" feature in Tools tab...
The only way to get the alpha is too have Live Rendering. You have an option to save picture in png+alpha (and it works well).

But yeah render is a V5 tool and a bit old. It does the job, but you still need to remove the background with photoshop or gimp.
Have you tried with a green or black background instead of white?

Hi rolitheone,

I've been looking at it, but this option is not possible in "Render" feature in Tools tab...
The only way to get the alpha is too have Live Rendering. You have an option to save picture in png+alpha (and it works well).

But yeah render is a V5 tool and a bit old. It does the job, but you still need to remove the background with photoshop or gimp.
Have you tried with a green or black background instead of white?

Thanks for taking the time.
Yeah we don't have the live render thing enabled...
I have considered doing blue or green but we have both those colors in our parts as well so that's not ideal either.
I guess I'll have to keep pleading to get a live render license.

Sure no problem, I wished I could be more helpful!
I understand the problem you encounter.
I do not know which method you use on photoshop/gimp, but me I am using color range (https://youtu.be/_DPKxde3tgo) and by adjusting the tolerance +/-, even if you lose a bit of the edge of your part, it work pretty well.
Otherwise, if you are interested by Live Rendering, I can assure you it is nothing compared to rendering in V5. I made and example here: https://youtu.be/262Ob4RBImw

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back