Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Hide/Show

mystic97z

I'm a new user to catia & have a question about hide/showing parts

Lets say I have a large assy, such as a car. Inside that assy there are many sub assy's, inside of those are detail parts.

I open this large assy and need to take some screenshots for a meeting.

Problem1: When I use dynamic sectioning, I can't figure out how to keep the window sectioned. For example I choose a place to use for the dynamic sectioning, and the view looks good, but i'm basically stuck inside that sectioning tool. I can't exit the tool say to change a part color and keep the viewing window clipped or sectioned.

Problem 2: In order for me to take good screenshots, I am needing to hide some parts, sometimes just single bolts inside an assy. So I hide these items, take my screenshot.
Now I need to sort of 'reset' the window to it's original state so I have everything showing and I can prepare another screenshot. In NX, there was a "show all" command that showed everything that each assy allows to show. In catia, it seems that I can't "show all" at the main assy level, I can only 'show all' in a workbench such as gen shape design. I thought about switching between hidden and shown spaces, selecting what I hid and show it, then swapping back, but when I swap to hidden space, I literally see every piece of geometry from every model contained inside the assy and it's no help.

Any suggestions?

Problem #2:
You can use Enhanced Scenes to save multiple combinations of assemblies with parts shown/hidden, different views, etc. Once saved, you can recall a Scene later, or go back to the original status of the assembly.

Last edited:
Problem #1:
There is a license that will let you save Sections so you can recall them later (sorry, I forgot what it's called - maybe Space Analysis?)

To easily operate during a section (like in NX) you need the DMU Space Analysis license. If you don't have that - instead of doing a section you can try using the split tool in the assembly workbench. It will appear in the "assembly features" panel under the assembly tree. For problem #2 just right click on the top product - selection - all - and then click Hide/Show.

Thanks for the input. I don't really like the idea of anything that's requiring me to create things, such as saving a view. I'm in a new but similar situation today:
I'm opening up a model i'm unfamiliar with and trying to investigate things and I really need to be able to 'clip' the view or something without creating or saving a new model. I am also realizing that the dynamic sectioning tool requires me to be inside of the part i'm using as a reference plane. I don't have the tool available to me unless a detail is active, and it needs to be the actual detail i'm going to use for the reference plane. This is becoming a very tedious task, as unlike a training exercise i'm in a large assembly and required to drill down through this large tree to activate the detail I need to use for the reference plane causes my tree to become a mess of expanded folders and really slows down the work flow, because now my tree is 25 times longer and more complicated that It really needs to be.

You want might to try the Fly tool to get inside the assembly and look around at the various parts. It takes some practice, but it's almost like Virtual Reality. You won't have to Hide as many parts when you fly through the assembly.

Last edited:
I have found that we have whatever license is required for the 'sectioning' tool, which works good, it's essentially exactly what I was looking for!

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back