Default Problem with ellipses

I drew two concentric ellipses on two different plans and made a surface with multi-sections along with a guide but as you see three irregular lines are created on the face. I did repeat the operation a few times but the result was the same, though the distances between the lines are changed. What is the reason and how I can correct it?

Thank you

•   AltAdvertisment

did you add Closing Points?

Hi Mans,

Have you tried with Blend feature? Remove the line you created between the 2 ellipses. and just connect them with a blend, I think that should work. ** Also the "lines" you see on the screen are just showing how the surface is divided in patches.

•   AltAdvertisment

I just used a guide line

•   AltAdvertisment

No, I didn't use blend and tried to create the shape with multi-sections.

You are right. I think blending is a proper option I will use it after some other exercises.

However, the patches show that the operation had been imperfect

Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by Mans View Post
    I just used a guide line
    I don't think using the Line as a Guide will help with only 2 sections. But it won't hurt either.

I would use the two end points of the lines as Closing Points to try to improve the patchwork of the swept surface. I would also make sure the Coupling type is set to RATIO (but that's probably the default).

Since this is a learning exercise, I suggest you try different options and see what happens.

Multi-Section Surface is the most obvious solution to this exercise. I'm not that familiar with Blend, but I guess that's another solution. You could also try a Sweep surface by sweeping the line through the two ellipses (guides).

I will use your good recommendations as well. I think sweep is another option for this shaping but I wanted to understand how I can create the shape with multi-sections intact and without any fault. As you guided, in the next time I will transfer the closing points of the ellipses to the points of the line. Probably, it will resolve the problem.

Thank you

Guys... the problem is that you have vertex points on your curves. Every vertex creates a line which divides your surface to patches. So you can either set your position tolerance to a minimum (doesn't matter if it's a Blend, MSS or Sweep) so the surface will have a small deviation from the curve but it will be smoother - OR you can use Curve Smooth on your guide to smooth it with an operation. Instead of using the Ratio option you can also use one of the profiles as a Spine - this will cause that the surface will be perpendicular to that Spine in it's every point.

Nice guidance! I think it is the same answer of my question

Thank you very much