Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

How do I create such the pattern in GSD

Mans

I know there are three choices of pattern to repeat a feature in GSD, but I couldn't create such the pattern with no one. How can I create such the hexagon pattern on the swept shape?

img-1822b.jpg

One way is to add a single cylinder, and then pattern the cylinder hole with the Rectangular Pattern tool. Use these three steps to get the shape above.

One - establish the grid

1a. set the First Reference Direction to be horizontal (or whatever angle you want)
1b. set the Second Reference Direction to be 60° from the first direction
1c. use the same spacing in both directions
hex pattern.JPG

Two - center the pattern (optional)

2a. position the first Hole in the center of the pattern
2b. use a high number of instances in both directions (start with 50 in both directions, and adjust later)
2c. click the >>MORE button and type in the row positions as half the instances (50 / 2 = 25)

Three - hexagon profile
3a. click the little orange dots to remove any instances outside of the hexagon profile. (you might want to sketch a hexagon for reference)
3b. if an instance is removed by mistake, just click on the orange dot to un-remove it

Last edited:
Mans, I just noticed you specifically asked about GSD. And I know that you are learning about GSD, so my suggestion above is how to pattern the hole surfaces. In Part Design, the patterned holes would automatically be removed from the solid. With GSD, you will have to manually build the inside and outside surfaces with all the holes. Maybe a Split could be used to cut the holes into the surfaces? (If I were doing this part, I would add the hole pattern AFTER converting the surface into a solid)

But what I do with these additional elements? How can I delete them?

Also, after deleting them, how I can copy the pattern to the other sides to take the shape of the hexagon?

pattern-1.jpg

Thank you, MrCatia

I eventually could get your instruction and created the pattern successfully :)

Of course in every patterning one of the rows should be deleted for creating another partition

pattern-2.jpg

Doing it in 6 partitions is another method.

But did you try my steps 2 and 3 above? I included them so you could learn something new, plus make the hexagon of holes as a single pattern.

Last edited:
I didn't understand the second step:

2a. position the first Hole in the center of the pattern
2b. use a high number of instances in both directions (start with 50 in both directions, and adjust later)
2c. click the >>MORE button and type in the row positions as half the instances (50 / 2 = 25)

But used other your guidance in the partition method that I myself innovated!

You guided me that I put the cylinder in the center of the pattern.

Well, so far I did understand. Then you told me to use a high number of instances in both directions? Which directions? I couldn't realize.

did you mean both lines of the 60 degree angle? So, what would happen later? I understood deleting additional instances out of the pattern by clicking on the orange dots but couldn't realize how to fill all the area of the hexagon.

your method was nice (simpler and easier) but the problem was that I couldn't get it

OK, Step 2 is a little confusing. Let me try describing Step 2 again, based on your latest picture above:

2a. continue from Step 1 with the first cylinder positioned in the center of the hexagon

2b. type in 9 instances in the first direction, and 9 instances in the second direction.

2c. click the >>MORE button

2d. type in 5 for the row position for direction 1 and direction 2. This will center the pattern on the original cylinder.

pattern.JPG

and follow Step 3 above to remove the cylinders outside of the hexagon

Last edited:
Excellent!!

Neat, accurate and calculated!

pattern1.jpg

It is the same that I wished

Thank you very much, dear master
rose.gif

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back