Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

I don't remember this wireframe option

Mans

When I started with Catia, I began collecting a series of tutorial PDF and video files. I don't remember in which one of the files I found an instruction that explained about working with 3D spline that could be reformed (in four directions in the space) by a series of points on it.

At the time, by a few of the splines I could create some segments which were reformed by changing the place of the points on the splines (I think this instance is relative to NURBS).

I left Catia for about one year (mostly because of my computer failure). Just tonight I found a PDF that pointed to the operation (without any explanation). As I have forgotten it after the year, I couldn't find the wireframe instance

Please tell me where I can find this type of spline that its shape changes with moving the points on it

1.jpg

I also found this method of reforming the splines in the PDF that was new for me, though I realized how it works, but please tell me how I can use that

2.jpg

If the answer is long and takes you in trouble please introduce some sources or reference to me to refer to.

Thank you

There are several types of splines in CATIA; 3D, 2D, sketch, drafting, and freestyle. All of these splines will adjust as the control points are moved.

The images above seem to show splines drawn with the FreeStyle Shape (FSS) workbench, using the Control Point type of constraint, instead of the Through Point type.

This video might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4prkp57YCE

Last edited:
I'm very interested working with complex surfaces in different directions in the spaces. I exercise about 10 hours every day and night to attain this technique that experts do. for example this car door has attracted all my thought from a few days ago. It has astonished me how its designer used such the complex surfaces in different stages and angles in the space and has combined them. I used all my effort to follow this design by a nonstop exercise. The questions that occupied my mind are these:

- Which workbench used the engineer?

- From which point he began? ( he began from the higher plan or lower?)

- How does he combined these surfaces with different edges on the different plans?

- Dose the designer worked piece to piece by growing edges or he designed a whole surface at first and then added other elements?

- Witch method he mostly used?

However, I'm very eager to find out these. After you respond and remembering me FSS I think this door has been designed in this workbench because of its high flexibility.

Of course my expectation is not that to be able to design such the complex engineering thing in this stage, but I want to go closer by learning the techniques.

door.jpg

This is the result of my effort to simulate a very little of the design, though is very simple.

door-2.jpg

I have very little automotive experience and no body design experience, but based on the door picture above I'm sure no one sat in front of their CATIA screen and modeled that door in one session. I'm sure it took a team of engineers many iterations based on appearance, other component interfaces, FEA, manufacturability, etc.

Also, body shapes were modeled in clay in the past and then digitized to obtain the outside shape of the vehicle. I bet this technique is still used today by some companies.

Hopefully someone better qualified will respond to your question.

Last edited:
Thank you for the good information about designing such the complicated object. It certainly reduces the pressure of the hard work that I'm doing to learn the method of the designing, especially the per-design modeling with clay that you exampled and also this fact that a team of experts do such the great work.

Nonetheless it is a good sample for exercise. If I can't design such the complex industrial thing, I will attain some new experiences in Catia, at least.

MrCatia

What's your specialty? Have you designed something with Catia to be manufactured?

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back