Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Inserting Text in Drafting

MadDogFletch

Hi all,

This is my first post within the forum and I’m a recently new user to Catia but not to modelling software, having used Inventor for many years.

In Catia drafting, is it possible to insert a text block? Such as default notes etc….
I don’t want to include these within the template border, but more like inserting from a list of different notations.

Thanks in advance

In CATIA drafting, a 2D Component is the equivalent to what is called a "block" in other CAD systems. A 2D Component can be a geometric entity or shape, a text, any drafting symbol that can placed on a drawing in order to avoid having the user recreate it. 2D Components are often stored in a CATIA Catalog for easy retrieval.

2D Components can be placed on a drawing with a link back to the Catalog, so that changes made to the "master" component will propagate to each instance of the 2D Component. 2D Components can also be "exploded" to break that link and allow the copied entity to be modified.

Many companies that I've worked with in the past have created Catalogs containing standard notes as 2D Components. I have also seen many CATIA users create their own "master drawing" of often used Text elements and 2D Components of various symbols

Hi, Thanks for that.
Do I need to create some text on a blank drawing then save as a drawing?
we've got a catalogue system too, so these could be populated in there.

Either way will work. If you work for a small company (with just few users), then making and maintaining a Catalog might not be worth it.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back