Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

V5 published part bodies in renamed parts

ACCLR8N

I'm trying to maintain a link between two CATParts when the files are renamed with new suffix levels (####-000, ####-001, ####-002..) and moved from "WORK" directories to "RELS" in UNIX. CATIA V5 R18, no PLM relying on projects directories (B299) and protected sub-directories (WORK, RELS, STDY..)

Scenario: Stamping-000 copied result with link into Overmold-000 where a boolean remove is executed. Later Stamping-000 is save as to Stamping-001 with a change. I want to open Overmold-000 and Stamping-001 to update the overmold. Publishing isn't doing it for me unless I'm doing it wrong. Can't rely on users to open both at the same time when order comes to change stamping

You're right - publishing won't do the entire link management job, but it is part of the solution.

When you rename the parent parts (containing the publications), the child parts are getting confused. You have to open the child part and replace the pointed (parent) document with the newly named file. Then the linked bodies will replace themselves if they are published. (if they weren't published, you would have to replace the bodies also!)

If the suffix levels indicate a new/modified design, I don't think it's too much to ask the user to open the child part to at least verify it is correct.

But when you move parts to different directories to indicate a status change, it might be worthwhile to consider isolating the links to assure the design remains as intended.

Thanks for clarifying that for me

But when you move parts to different directories to indicate a status change, it might be worthwhile to consider isolating the links to assure the design remains as intended.

I'm arguing with our home office about that coincidently. They love crazy external links for titleblocks, notes, published features, constraints to make part changes automatic. My philosophy is opening an old release and having it update is a bad thing.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back