Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

cutting grooves on cylinder

adi

Hi

I am trying to cut grooves on the outside of a cylinder. A cable will be wound in the groove (R/H). I tried to use the thread function. I set

major diameter: 140
minor: 132
pitch: 8.5
angle: 180
shaft size: 140
method: cut

But the model doesn't show the grooves. It does show the 'thread' in the drafting mode.

Is there another way to cut the grooves ?

Thank you

Re: Cutting grooves on cylinder

Hi Adi,
Question is not clear for me. I request everyone, Pls mention NX Version and explain in detail for better understanding.

Upto my understanding that you have used Thread Command and key in the below Values :

Major diameter: 140
Minor: 132
Pitch: 8.5
Angle: 180
Shaft size: 140
Method: cut

Seems that you have choosen, "Symbolic" option Right ?

Pls enable "Manual" option and enter the below the Values

Major diameter: 140
Minor: 132
Pitch: 8.5
Angle: 180
Method: cut

then pls select the Cylindrical Face , Now Shaft Size Hilights and enter 140 as Shaft size

It works fine and creates a Thread.

Note :

Now you can notice that cylinder face automatically changes to 140 when you enter the value 140 as a Shaft Size Value in Thread Command ( Example : Assume Groove/Hole Dia 200, when you set Shaft Size as 140 in Thread Command, Value in Hole/ Groove dia get updates as mentioned in Thread Coomand)

Pls find the attached Image.

Pls let me know incase you need any clarifications on this.

Thanks,
Srinivas Kumar.T
G4 Solutions
Hyderabad

Attachments

• Hole_Thread.jpg
    Hole_Thread.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 3
Hi Strinivas

Thank you, it does cut the thread. But it does not show the thread in the modelling mode. Is this normal ?

There should be grooves on the outside of the face. The thread comes up in drafting though. I am using NX6.

Thank you. I really appreciate it.

Hi

I am trying to cut grooves on the outside of a cylinder. A cable will be wound in the groove (R/H). I tried to use the thread function. I set

major diameter: 140
minor: 132
pitch: 8.5
angle: 180
shaft size: 140
method: cut

But the model doesn't show the grooves. It does show the 'thread' in the drafting mode.

Is there another way to cut the grooves ?

Thank you

You can use groove command to perform your task!

first : creat cylinder (dia 140, height 140)

see picture

adf.ly - shrink your URLs and get paid!

second: make groove (dia 132, width 8.5)

rectangle groove

type parameter

finish!

rgs!

Re: Cutting grooves on cylinder

Hi Adi,
Software is working as designed.

If you choose "Symbolic" , It will not create any Threads in Modeling where as it shows Sysmbolic Representation.

Make sure that Hole get updates automatically in Sysmbolic Thread irresepective of Hole Dia

This is a general PRACTICE in an Industry, Beacuse It helps to reduce the File Size and Improves the Performance.

Detailed Thread:

Thread appears in Modeling

Increases the File Size

Prefoemance Degrades etc.

Thanks,
Srinivas Kumar.T

G4 Solutions

G4 Solutions established with a tremendous experience for all Design Applications, Project Execution and Business Consulting for Design Solutions. Specialized in cost effective and customized mechanical design applications in project design, drafting

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back