Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

how to modify STL file in catia?

kundil

Hi...everybody..

I have a task from my lecturer that is make face profile from target object.
I was performed scanning 3D and than save it in STL file and must modify the object to make it smoother and editing some point like ear, eye, nose in catia.
I'm confuse how to make it be,...I don't know where should to begin.
Anyone,...please help me the way...

God Bless You...

Thanks

Import it in CATIA modify it usung Digitized Shape editor/Shape Sculptor and Export

Digitized Shape Editor -> Import the stl. Create a CATIA mesh from it if reqd.
Modify it (smoothing/decimation etc.)
Export it back to stl.

Hope that helps..
lemme know in case u still have difficulties..

.stl file editing in CATIA

Digitized Shape Editor -> Import the stl. Create a CATIA mesh from it if reqd.
Modify it (smoothing/decimation etc.)
Export it back to stl.

Hope that helps..
lemme know in case u still have difficulties..

I imported .stl file using the same way but if I want to make a geometry or sketch from the edges/surfaces in the imported .stl file how can I do it?

I haven't used the Digitized Shape Editor much, but the Symmetry command can be used to mirror the imported STL data.

There are no Boolean commands in the Digitized Shape Editor workbench. Boolean commands are only used with solids in the Part Design workbench.

Last edited:
Ok, thank you..
What about converting stl file to surfacae I try to convert it but when I try to save the model it is take along time and not work.. Is there any way to do this??

The Digitized Shape Editor has tools to work with STL files including fitting a surface through the points.

Not being able to save the file could be a CATIA problem, but more likely to be problem with your system. Is there any kind of error message? Can you save other CATIA files?

I mean when I try to convert stl to surface through digital mockup>DMU optimizer>offest>save the object as model when I try to save it just load for long time and the software crash.. I dont understand what is the problem!
Is there other way to do this??

Zahraa,

CATIA has three workbenches that are used for reverse engineering: Digitized Shape Editor, Quick Surface Reconstruction and STL Rapid Prototyping. I'm really not that familiar with any of these workbenches - sorry. The DMU workbenches typically work with CGR data, so I'm confused why you would use that to convert an STL file.

Have you searched YouTube for any videos on How to Convert STL to CATIA Surface? There might be something there that will help you.

Ok thanks...
So, When I try to reverse engineering the object through Quick surface Reconstruction>Automatic surface appear that selected mesh contains non mainfold vertices.. What is that mean? And how I can solve this problem?

Maybe there are more than two curves that share a common vertex, making it impossible to define the profile of the mesh? Hard to say without seeing a picture of what's happening.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back