Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

How should you implement custom properties to calculate and update assembly cost?

carson32

What I have already figured out:

- Change the custom property of single part to contain part cost
- Display the part cost in the drawing BOM
- Calculate total assembly cost in the BOM

What I would like to do:

- Have the custom property associated with the cost of the assembly automatically update with the cost of the assembly calculated in the BOM

Why I want to do it:

- In large assemblies with many nested assemblies the cost can be calculated automatically even with changes in cost of lower level assemblies

My current solution:

- Calculate the cost of the assembly in the drawing BOM (automatic), but then manually change the custom property of the assembly to reflect the cost of the total assembly.

I know I could just display the BOM in the master drawing with all components shown and calculate the cost that way, but I am really looking for a solution that utilizes a top level BOM.

I hope my question is clear and any answer or partial solution is appreciated.

Thanks!

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back