Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Sending a model via ftp site. How do I easily include all part files?

maddddog

Hello - I havn't sent assemblies and part files to others yet as I have only been using SE for several months. I did email an assemble to someone and was informed that I had to send the part files as well.

That was some time ago and a simple assembly. My assemblies now are quite large now and finding all the correct part files would be a difficult thing to do, if I had to look for each file and make sure I did not include the wrong ones.

So far I am very impressed with the ease of use. I know there must be a way to collect them all for transfer to an ftp site.

Please help. Thank you.

Hi there!
You need to include all the individual part files in order to open the entire assembly. A way to find the location of the files is to look in the Edgebar (assembly navigator). Right-click on the component and select either where used or properties. It'll be able to tell you where the individual part files are located at.

Andrew

assembly and part files

Hi there!
You need to include all the individual part files in order to open the entire assembly. A way to find the location of the files is to look in the Edgebar (assembly navigator). Right-click on the component and select either where used or properties. It'll be able to tell you where the individual part files are located at.

Andrew

Thanks andrew. A friend tells me that solid works has an export function that collects all associated files automaticly. I wish that SE did that. I'm not sure he realy knows that for sure.

Bundle your files in one directory - easily done

Hi 3d's,

SE has loaded a few extra programs onto your PC that you may not know of.
The "revision manager" is one of them.

Open your file within "Revision Manager"...
1] Go to your assembly file you wish to send - within Windows Explorer (Windows button + E).
2] Right hand mouse click to select your file.
3] One of the options that jumps up is "Open with Revision Manager". Select this option.
4] Your assembly and all its interlinked files will now be listed within "Revision Manager".

Select the interlinked files to be copied to a new directory...
5] Ensure that you see all the possible files by pressing the all "+" buttons on each inscription.
(Do not skip this step!!)
6] Select all your files.
7] Right click on the highlighted selections.
8] Select the "Set Action to Copy" option.
9] Right click again and select "Set the Path" - changing it to your temporary folder name.
10] Choose "Perform Actions" under the FILE button.

Using the directory...
11] take the temporary directory, zip it and send it on.
-FIN-

"Revision Manager" is a very powerful tool to make copies and fix broken links - without even opening SE.
It is even possible to use without you having your dongol / license activated.

The is other export possibilities, if you wish to make it a single file.
I assume you wish to send it as is, to who ever you send it to..

>> If this helped, please contribute to at least one other post - thanks.
>> to our other regular visitors -- did I miss something?
>> Andrew: how can we share our designs with others remotely?

WB

Last edited:
Hi William,

Thank you so much for your wonderful suggestion on using Revision Manager. I'm ashamed i'd forgotten about Revision Manager. :(

Well, it depends on your intention. Some designers need to show their designs remotely but not wanting to send the original part files. An alternative solution would be:

1. Export the assembly to a HTML file using Web Publisher. (You can still manipulate the model in this format)
  2. Save the assembly file to a JT format if the other party has Insight or Teamcenter to view it. (The entire assy will be contained in a single JT file. No need to include the individual part files.)
  3. I've heard that you can paste a SE part file on a word document and yet manipulate it's views. (I'm still researching on this.)

How to paste Solid Edge part/assembly in WORD document.

3. I've heard that you can paste a SE part file on a word document and yet manipulate it's views. (I'm still researching on this.)

I've just found out how i can do the above. I shall share it in the other thread >> Check out UGS's JT2GO!

Last edited:
Hi 3d's,

SE has loaded a few extra programs onto your PC that you may not know of.
The "revision manager" is one of them.

Open your file within "Revision Manager"...
1] Go to your assembly file you wish to send - within Windows Explorer (Windows button + E).
2] Right hand mouse click to select your file.
3] One of the options that jumps up is "Open with Revision Manager". Select this option.
4] Your assembly and all its interlinked files will now be listed within "Revision Manager".

Select the interlinked files to be copied to a new directory...
5] Ensure that you see all the possible files by pressing the all "+" buttons on each inscription.
(Do not skip this step!!)
6] Select all your files.
7] Right click on the highlighted selections.
8] Select the "Set Action to Copy" option.
9] Right click again and select "Set the Path" - changing it to your temporary folder name.
10] Choose "Perform Actions" under the FILE button.

Using the directory...
11] take the temporary directory, zip it and send it on.
-FIN-

"Revision Manager" is a very powerful tool to make copies and fix broken links - without even opening SE.
It is even possible to use without you having your dongol / license activated.

The is other export possibilities, if you wish to make it a single file.
I assume you wish to send it as is, to who ever you send it to..

>> If this helped, please contribute to at least one other post - thanks.
>> to our other regular visitors -- did I miss something?
>> Andrew: how can we share our designs with others remotely?

WB

I finally got back to that assembly I had to get together and send - guess what? WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!

2 gold stars , no, make it 3 gold stars for William on this one. You saved me an entire weekend ( in the help )and opened my eyes to the revision manager.

What other neat little tricks is the revision manager good for?

I work for the most part alone and all the modeling I do is just for me in my shop. I dont have the need to use many of the functions that would be used in a large company or group, and as you all know, with so much to learn, if I dont have to, I wont spend the time to learn it.

Thank you very much
JK

JK,

You know what - I think I am spoiling you on this one too much. ;)
Why not you open up a new post starting with "TIP".
Then you tell the others what functions you see from the Rev. Manager.
Even if you just jog down the functions you see from the right mouse click menu.
Andrew, Gert (I hope) or I will try to help from there.

Just a suggestion / "deep end of the pool push"
WB

JK :D,

I have meant for you to write a little about Revision Manager. :eek:
Are you happy with the answer provided - can "admin" close this thread?

PS: you can rate a thread (Max of 5 stars) if you wish to do so.
Push the "rate thread" button at the top of this page.

WB :)

Last edited:
My original question has been answered well. I am studying the revision manager currently and will start a new thread when I know enough to do so.

Thank you
JK

William,

We don't have to close this thread.
It'll prove useful for others should they come across a similar problem or question. ;)

teamcenter visualisation 2005 installation

helo,
Could u please help me how to install teamcenter visualisation 2005
i m not finding crack file,
Thanks

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back