Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

I cant retain a tool, I have to select it each time

add

When I have to trim a profile I have to select trim each time even if I have to trim multiple lines at the same moment.
Similarly in mirror I cant select multiple lines after selection of the the selection of the tool with ctrl key, first line that i click is selected to be mirror and is mirrored around the second line I select. I have to select the appropriate profile beforehand.
I am new to CATIA.
Thanks in advance.

When I have to trim a profile I have to select trim each time even if I have to trim multiple lines at the same moment.

I guess you're asking about TRIM in the Sketcher workbench? Normally, TRIM is used to trim one or two lines/curves to each other. But you can also TRAP a set of lines/curves and then trim all of them in one operation.

Similarly in mirror I cant select multiple lines after selection of the the selection of the tool with ctrl key, first line that i click is selected to be mirror and is mirrored around the second line I select. I have to select the appropriate profile beforehand.

That's how the MIRROR command works. Use CTRL or TRAP or AUTO SEARCH to pick all the geometry to be mirrored first, click the icon, and click the center line (or plane)

Last edited:
If you have to do alot of TRIM operations, you can double-click on the icon to lock-on that command. Then just select the lines/curves to trim. (the cursor will display if you're picking the first or second line). Click the icon to un-lock the command when you're done.

You can double-click most commands this way.

You can assign "shortcut keys" for each command if you want.
This helps me a lot if im doing repetitive task (besides the double clicking of commands like MrCatia said)

just go to Tools>Customize>Commands>select the "all commands" on the categories>select the command on the right panel. (ex. Trim)

>show properties>fill up the window of the "accelerator" (ex. Alt+x)
then when youre pressing Alt+x, Trim command will be activated.

you can do this for almost all commands, just be sure that youre on the right workbench before customizing.
for example when youre on the Part Design, when you customize this you cant see the commands under the sketcher window. Because toolbars on each one is different from the other so dont get confuse if you cant see the command that you want to bind those keys.

Hope this will help.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back