Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

How i can measure a hose ?

I want to know, if it is a way to measure the maximum (and minimum) of a hose live lenght in catia .
In a curbated hose apear expansion and contraction , i want to mesure the wall of hose (more exactly i want the maximum lenght of straight hose , which i need to modelade to be curved).
Have a good day !!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have the centerline of the hose, you could measure it's length (either curved or straight).

If you know the compression and expansion factors, you could calculate the max and min lengths.

Unteeitled.jpg
..i don't now that factors (compression and expansion), i will atach a image to be more explicit
You will see that the lenght of yellow line is a litte bite higher than red line
i created a formula for centerline ..but how i can create a formula to measure the external lenght (yellow line) or internal lenght (red line)
...in autocad i just needed to explode the hose and after measure line from quadrant (wich from first explode had transformed in a poliline),i think
that also catia have some tricks wich i can use for that.

Thanks for the picture, but the tree is too small to read and understand what kind of geometry you have.

If the yellow and red "lines" are single curves, you should be able to measure each one to get it's length. If they are individual curves, then Join them into a single curve to measure the entire length.

I'm not aware of any trick to explode the hose in CATIA.

Ooops - thanks to clarifying that.

I don't see any way to directly measure that in CATIA, Manuel.

For a complex hose like yours, with many bends in different directions, the only method I can think of is to do it manually. I would break the hose into multiple sections for each straight and each bent section. Then intersect the centerplane with the hose section to create the "red and yellow" (max and min) curves. Measure the lengths and manually add them together.

This could be a wild suggestion but can you cut the hose into half? by slot command using the spline that you used for creating the hose.
Cutting the hose that way can result into edges, so that you can select it for measuring by using Measure item.

i Dont know if this would help. goodluck

what I understood from this discussion is that I connot measure the length of the curve (both re, yellow, shortest one longest one or the curve which goes through center of the hose) in CATIA . If I am wrong please correct me. And also Mr. CATIA my curve has no straight line that I can be section it :(

as I said earlier: If you have the centerline of the hose, you could measure it's length (either curved or straight). If you know the compression and expansion factors, you could calculate the max and min lengths.

my curve has no straight line that I can be section it :(

I read Nocturne's suggestion to make a surface from the center curve and Split the hose with that surface. No straight line needed.

Last edited:
Also, as a pure geometrical solution to find the centerline length, you can divide the volume of the hose by the surface area of the lip of the hose.That should give you the centerline length.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back