Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

V5 6R2013 Educational Files wont open in V5R21

rickg

Hello All,
Created some .catpart files while I had V5 6R2013. I now have access to V5R21 and would like to open these files for review and/or modification. R21 says I can't do it with just a straight pick. Any help?

The files have to be converted to R21 first.

Logon to V5-6R2013, open the files and run the Downward Compatibility utility program to convert them to R21. You will be able to open these converted files.

Last edited:
My V5 6R2013 licence has expired recently and I am no longer able to access that program. It would appear that I am sol. But I might be able to go to the local community college and convert them there. I will repost if I have problems.

Hello Mr. Catia. Can you tell me on how to use that Downward compatibility.
Does it makes your 3D a solid part. without the tree?

Below are the step-by-step instructions to run the Downward Compatibility program interactively, along with some other info that I copied from this thread: http://www.3dcadforums.com/threads/2285-r17-parts-in-r16-options

Here's the basic steps to run the program from CATIA:

1. Tools + Utility
2. double-click the Downward Compatibility program
3. choose the Release level to convert to
4. click the folder icon in the Document Selection section
a. click the Member option to choose the CATPart file to be converted
b. choose your Rename option
c. click the Change Target Directory option to specify where to save the converted CATPart file
d. click OK
5. click Run to run the program

CATIA is "upward compatable" which means data from lower level releases can be open and modified with higher level releases. So your customer can open and modify your R16 files with his R17 system.

But not the other way around. You will not be able to open and modify R17 or higher files with your R16 system.

However, as you probably know, your customer can use the DOWNWARD COMPATIBILITY utility program to convert their CATPart files from R17 to R16. (it's a fairly simple process.) Then you will be able to open these files. You can use these files in a limited capacity; you add new features, you can make drawings and assemblies with these files, you can even do NC programming. But you will be unable to modify the solid file, since it's history will be deleted when the DOWNWARD COMPATIBILITY is run.

If you plan to do alot of business with the customer, I strongly recommend you upgrade your system and always run the same release as your customer.

Yes, it does keep the solid bodies in CATPart files, but the result is a "dumb" solid with the history (tree) removed.

Last edited:
OK, The files, after conversion, will open in R21, It as a dumb part, i.e. listed as a Solid.1 in the tree, is colored red and errors with this message:
"Impossible to synchronize : DefaultValuesBag is inconsistent with external reference Solid.1"
It also warns me that it was created with an "Educational Licence".
Where do I go next?

Update 2
I pick "Deactivate" and it goes to a normal part but i'm not sure what "deactivate" does/

OK, The files, after conversion, will open in R21, It as a dumb part, i.e. listed as a Solid.1 in the tree, is colored red and errors with this message:
"Impossible to synchronize : DefaultValuesBag is inconsistent with external reference Solid.1"
It also warns me that it was created with an "Educational Licence".
Where do I go next?

I've never seen that error message before, so I'm not sure what's going on. The "external reference" makes me want to Isolate Solid.1 in order to break that link. Is there a special icon in front of Solid.1 in the tree? Anything in the Edit + Links window?

I would run the CATDUA program to clean the synchronization problem with this CATPart file. This can be easily done from the File + Desk window.

It's red because it probably needs an update.

The warning message is normal for files such as yours.

Last edited:
Update 2
I pick "Deactivate" and it goes to a normal part but i'm not sure what "deactivate" does/

Deactivate will turn a feature "off" so that it is ignored when the part is updated, but it can be Activated later to turn it back "on"

Are you deactivating Solid.1? Is the model displayed after the solid is deactivated?

Last edited:
"Update" generates another error.
"Deactivate" DOES NOT turn the part off. It returns to it's normal, pre-conversion, color. It even has the same transparency value as before. The "exclamation point" in the tree goes away.
So What I am wondering is:
When does the "Deactivate" pick bite me in the butt later, OR what was the problem in the first place that I had to tell it what to do.
Fun with Catia, Right?
Thanks for your time

V5r21

Created some .catpart files while I had V5 6R2013. I now have access to

hXXp://chinesebuffetnearmenow.net V5R21 and would like to open these files for review and/or modification. R21 says I can't do it with just a straight pick.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back