Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Assembly Mating Problem. Need Help!

rexxar

I have this mating problem that is driving me insane. Look at assembly 2 pic and notice how I have all these parts mated (total 5 parts, 3 rods, 2 3-hole pieces plus the base). You can get a sense of the motion they create, like scissors. The 2 side rods move left and right while the middle rod moves up and down. Now look at assembly 1. I have the exact same setup except the rail where the lower rods are moving is curved at each end. When I start mating the parts and I get to the very last mate, which is mating the middle hole and the middle rod, it won't let me mate them. It says:

"The components cannot be moved to a position which satisfies this mate. Cylinders are not coincentric." or "This mate will over-define the assembly".

I know for a fact these are invalid errors because it works perfectly fine when the rails are straight. So I believe having curved paths is causing the problem or perhaps the way I have mated the lower rods to these paths. I have tried mating these parts in many different orders and when I get to the very last mate, which would make them all work together, I get this error. The way I mated the lower 2 rods to the curved path was by sketching a path along the middle of the curve. I edited the rods and added a dot inside them on the same plane as the sketched path and used "path mate" to mate the dot with the sketch. It is visible in the pic. Also I created the curved paths using "spline" command. The curve is not an arc of a circle. Please help me solve this problem of how I can mate these parts.

Attachments

• assembly 1.jpg
    assembly 1.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 0
  • assembly 2.jpg
    assembly 2.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 1

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back